12 September 2015

Erasmus en Madrid | Ep. 1


Erasmus. Every grad student’s dream. The chance of a lifetime to be free, independent, to know yourself and many other people, and most of all, to grow up. A chance to see the world in a different way and to change perspective about life.
And I was one of the lucky people who got to do this.


Although the process of choosing the country that I wanted to go was relatively easy, I wasn’t expecting these much complications around my choice. Initially, I chose to go to Berlin, so I could be in the centre of Europe and travel to cities nearby and not spend too much money; but after I got selected, I got the news that out of the 6 subjects that I was supposed to have to pass the semester, in Berlin, they would only give me ONE! I was devastated. I was already looking for a student residences and cool places to go, and I had to drop everything and start looking for housing options in Madrid, my second choice.

In between packing half of my closet in the biggest suitcase I had and talking back and forth with the two universities to arrange the right classes to have and a schedule with no overlapping, I managed to book a visit to an apartment in the city. And that was another problem that had to be thought out, as the University is 40 minutes away from the center, I had to weight out the pros and cons of living in the village near the Uni or living right in the center of Madrid. And as this apartment I found was right behind the train/metro/bus station the takes us directly to Uni, the second option was the winner! DING DING DING DING!  

And after we signed the contract for a 4-month rental in our new home, the adventure was about to begin... Wish me luck!

Erasmus. O sonho de qualquer estudante universitário. A oportunidade de uma vida de se ser livre, independente, de se conhecer a si mesmo e a tantas outras pessoas, e, acima de tudo, de se crescer. A oportunidade de ver o mundo de uma maneira diferente e de mudar de perspectiva sobre a vida.
E eu fui uma das sortudas que teve esta oportunidade.

Apesar do processo de escolher o país que queria viver fosse relativamente fácil, nunca pensei que houvesse tantas complicações à volta desta minha escolha. Inicialmente, tinha escolhido Berlim como meu destino por estar no centro da Europa e facilitar possíveis viagens a cidades que estivessem perto, mas pouco depois de ter sido selecionada, recebi as notícias de que só iria ter UMA equivalência do total de 6 cadeiras do semestre em questão! Fiquei completamente destroçada. Ainda por cima porque já estava à procura de residências e sítios giros para ir. Tive de parar tudo e mudar de localização para a minha segunda escolha, Madrid.

Entre meter metade do meu armário na maior mala que tinha e corresponder com as duas universidades para arranjar as aulas que precisava e um horário que não tivesse sobreposições, consegui ainda marcar para ver uma casa no centro. E esse foi outro problema que tive de pensar, como a Universidade é a 40 minutos do centro, tive de pesar os pros e contras de viver na vila perto da uni ou de viver no centro de Madrid. E como este apartamento que descobri era mesmo atrás da estação de comboios/metro/autocarros que nos leva directamente à Uni, a segunda opção foi a vencedora! DING DING DING DING!

E logo que assinámos o contrato de aluguer para 4 meses na nossa nova casa, a aventura começou... Desejem-me boa sorte!

First day at Universidad Europea de Madrid | Primeiro dia na Universidad Europea de Madrid

1 comment: